Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Her Pale White Dome

3/4/08


Tuesday morning things were very strange – almost Twilight Zone-ish. I at first thought it was very odd that I was the only one boarding, but I found it even MORE interesting that I was the only one on board.

I asked the driver if I was getting on the right one and she assured me I was indeed. I sat down and we were on our way. The driver wasn’t one that we usually have, and one of the most bizarre coincidences was that her name was Julie.

I looked behind me to make sure the buple (bus couple) wasn’t lying in the back seat and sure enough it was empty. I reclined the seat and relaxed, and before I knew it we were downtown. It was the best commute I had so far, so before I got out I gave her a kiss and was on my way.

3/5/08

This morning things are somewhat back to normal. The bus is a little more full than normal, although still no more than half full. The roads aren’t the best considering the snow but we still seem to be doing pretty good on speed. No egg-wheeled bus today.

One interesting thing that I’ve noticed is that few blondes ride the bus. I’m surveying the crowd and there isn’t a single one on board. The buple is here in their usual spot and we have another new couple. The woman from the new couple (we’ll call them the nuple) appears to be taking her first bus trip, or at least her first one on this route.

The gentleman with her is pointing things out along the way. He has a large nose, receding hairline and long sideburns. She has gray, somewhat thin hair, which appears almost like a wispy gray cloud encircling her pale white dome. Her hair is thin enough to see completely through to the scalp yet looks to have enough substance to adequately hold a No. 2 pencil.

Gary D. is our driver this morning as he is most mornings and is doing an admirable job in these conditions. We’re definitely running behind schedule (or a former co-worker pronounces it “shed-jewel”) but we’re doing better than I thought we would.

Lyric of the day: "Seems I'm not alone at being alone" - "Message in a Bottle", The Police

No comments: