Friday, February 29, 2008

Like Butta

Eastbound

For as infrequently as February 29th appears on a calendar (roughly once every 4 years) it doesn’t feel like anything special. If you’re a single man (see my post from a few days ago) then I think you should be concerned about the possibility of being proposed to today. You may want to just stay in bed.

I heard one of my favorite Jackson 5 songs this morning on the way to the bus – “Never Can Say Goodbye” is a classic.

Last night’s ride/drive home was not a pleasant one, as I’m sure most of you can attest. It’s amazing how a little snow falling at just the right time of day can cause such problems. The bus was about a half hour late getting us back into Chaska but it could have been much worse.

One thing I do miss about working at Eaton is the occasional times where I would walk out of the building and smell the fresh baked bread from the plant across Hwy 5. When I worked in a grocery store there were times when we would go down to the bakery and get a fresh loaf of bread and a tub of butter and eat the whole loaf. The butter would instantly melt and soak into the bread… wow, was that good.

Speaking of Hwy 5, how does that number play into the highway numbering system I wrote about yesterday? Good question.

Feeling a bit under the weather and I’m wondering if it has to do with the fact that I’m taking the bus. Am I more prone to pick up something taking public transportation? This is a risk they don’t tell you about ahead of time. I think I’ll bring a can of Lysol on the bus with me next week, and maybe some Clorox wipes as well. If that doesn’t work I’ll be forced to resort to the Michael Jackson face mask. I suppose the face mask would be fitting since I already have someone to walk around with me and hold an umbrella over my head.

A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle. – "Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World", U2. I can’t say I agree with that, but the line is one I’ve always gotten a kick out of.

1 comment:

Bryon said...

Karen and I have no sympathy for you and your "cold"!! Try being a teacher and having hundreds of festering, snotty nose, dirty, no hand washing kids touching you day in and day out! My first year of teaching I was sick from Sept. until June. One year I had a sinus infection that turned into a double ear infection. I was in heaven when my ear drum popped right in the middle of class. I yelled and then I tried to show my class.

They almost puked!!!
The joy of being a middle school teacher!!