Thursday, February 28, 2008

All Along the Water Tower

Eastbound

It looks like it’s going to be a beautiful sunrise this morning - a mix of oranges and pinks. It won’t be long until the “snow” comes later today. A whole inch they’re predicting. Fortunately, Julie and I have the home well-stocked with food and essentials in case it’s a few days before the roads are clear enough for us to travel…

The bus today feels like it has eggs for wheels. I don’t think the tires are round, at least they certainly don’t feel like it.

One of the guys I met at Target is also a BA and he has a map of the U.S. on his cubicle wall that shows all the Major League Baseball parks around the country. He was telling me he’s been to all but 6 of them and hopes to knock off 2-3 more this year. Pretty cool.

What’s love got to do with it?

Water towers are rather interesting to me. How much water do they hold? Is their main function to store water? Or are they supplying the needed pressure to get the water to the surrounding homes and businesses? Are their massive pumps that pump the water up to the top? Or does the vacating water cause a suction or siphoning effect thereby “pulling” the water into the tank? Is there anything special or functionally different regarding the various designs, or is it strictly aesthetics? How long does one last? How many homes or business could one water tower support? Aren’t you curious? I’ll see what I can find out for you.

I seem to recall being told once that there is a logic to the highway numbering system. Your two-digit, odd numbers are for highways that run between states and move in a north-south direction, your 77, 35, 75 highways for example. The two-digit, even numbers are for highways that run between states and move in an east-west direction, such as 94, 80, 66, etc. You then have your three-digit scenarios that start with an even number that circle metropolitan areas, such as 494, 694, 475 etc. Now, what about three-digit highways that start with an odd number? I believe those are for intra-state highways. Any of you aware of such a numbering scheme?

What’s love but a secondhand emotion?

Westbound

I passed a guy in the skyway today.

I’m looking at upgrading my phone and I went into the Verizon store over lunch. Talked to a nice chap named Eric. I’m thinking I want a cell phone with a planner, address book, a QWERTY keyboard, and the ability to access my Gmail account. Right now I’m leaning towards the BlackBerry Pearl but it doesn’t have a full QWERTY keyboard, but two letters per key plus some fancy-shmancy logic that figures out what you’re typing. Heck, I don’t even know what I’m typing but some phone will figure it out. Maybe it will make me look smarter. It certainly can’t hurt.

Well, it’s snowing. We just passed a guy riding his bike. Now, either that’s dedication or insanity. My vote is for the latter.

We were listening to KOOL 108 a while back and their commercial said that they’re playing the good songs again, or something along those lines. What were they playing before? Are they admitting something? “Sorry, folks. I don’t know what that crap was we were playing before but we apologize. So be sure to listen now. We think we got it this time.”

It’s interesting how when you’re on the 30th floor and you look out the window when it’s snowing and the flakes are actually floating UP, not down.

Someone named “BA” left a message on one of the blog posts, but I don’t know who they are. Who are you? Who? Who? Who? I really wanna know.

Don’t you miss the 80’s?

I prefer a creamy coleslaw to an oily one. Some of the best coleslaw I’ve had in a restaurant was at Bob Evans. Quality.

How many “winds” does a piece of exercise equipment have? If I bought a treadmill from 2nd Wind, used it for a while, and then wanted to get rid of it, would I have to find the 3rd Wind store and take it there? How do they know the treadmill is only on it’s 2nd wind?

1 comment:

Bryon said...

Pat,
I'm hurt that you don't know my initials. It's me Bryon, you know the other half of Karen. Gee's you just left me a message on my Blog and I know who you are. What is your email by the way.

Here is a site to answer you questions about water towers.
http://people.howstuffworks.com/water.htm