Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Don't Drink the Water

Tonight I went to the tri teams first team training which was at a pool at an area middle school. Team In Training has so many signed up for the triathlons this year (140 and growing) that they broke the swim up into 3 sessions - each for a different skill level.

As Mentor Captain one of the things I'm going to try and do more of this season is attend team trainings (for all the sports) and take pictures. Seeing as some 80% of the participants in TNT are beginners there are always nerves coming to the first team training, and I'm sure me standing there with a camera didn't help any! ;-)

While I was watching everyone practice their drills and struggle as they learned the techniques and tried to catch their breathe it reminded me of our first team swim last year. Julie and I were not even remotely strong swimmers when we signed up for the Life Time Fitness Triathlon last January and that first team swim was quite stressful.

And tonight I was reliving those feelings from last year - how the heck do you breathe and swim? why do my goggles keep filling with water? will I ever be able to swim just to the other end of the pool without stopping? does the water HAVE to be this darn cold? It was all coming back, and as I watched them and felt their anxiety I was also somewhat wishing I was in there as well. But, thankfully, those feelings were fleeting at best. :-)

There is always a really high level of excitement when the new TNT seasons start, but summer season always seems to have that something extra. I don't know if it's because it's a new year or if it's because you know spring is around the corner but I've always enjoyed this season.

Julie will be staffing the Tahoe century ride again this year and the first team training for them is Saturday morning, as are the team training for San Diego and Anchorage. It's going to be another great season and I've already met some new people tonight that seem really cool. TNT draws the best people who want to help a great cause - or just get in shape!

It's not too late to join a team! If you're at all interested you can come to a Try It Out training and see what the whole thing is about. You won't be disappointed. Click here for more info.

No comments: