Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The FTIOONVBTW Scale

Random thoughts warning….


A popsicle stick bridge. Have you ever made one? I haven’t. Apparently some of us had to make them when we were kids, for school or some such thing. I don’t recall ever having to do such a thing when I was a kid. Now eating the popsicles??? Yeah, that I did.

For as much as I enjoy popsicles it’s rather interesting that I never eat them. They must be better for you than ice cream, not that I’m saying they taste as GOOD as ice cream, but as for the nutritional value of frozen treats go I would think the popsicle beats the ice cream. Frozen treats in order of nutritional value, best to worst (FTIOONVBTW): popsicles, ice cream.

Of course, the best popsicle is the one that has the ice cream in the middle. The orange popsicle with the vanilla ice cream was, and is, a great little treat. A hard, orange popsicle shell with a soft, creamy vanilla center. Yum. However, due to the combination of popsicle and ice cream it makes it’s nutritional value fall somewhere between the two. FTIOONVBTW: plain popsicles, orange/vanilla popsicle, ice cream.

Then you have the push-up, another great treat I would enjoy as a kid but never eat anymore. A little creamier than the straight popsicle and perhaps a little harder to eat, you would pull the wrapper off the top and push it out of its cardboard home and try to eat it before it dripped all over the place. Not the best situation but well worth the effort. FTIOONVBTW: plain popsicle, push-up, orange/vanilla popsicle, ice cream.

Now, if you’re a fan of the Dairy Queen Blizzard like the little lady and I are then I think you would agree it’s probably NOT the best when it comes to nutrition. In order to try and make it a little better from a nutritional standpoint I once ordered mine with broccoli mixed in, but that didn’t taste so great. Corn either. So I stick with the chocolate ice cream Blizzard with peanut butter, peanuts, and Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. Oh, mama. Good stuff. And I like to think my emotional health is as important as my physical health, so partaking of the Blizzard does an emotional body good. You have to try it. FTIOONVBTW: plain popsicle, push-up, orange/vanilla popsicle, plain ice cream, DQ Blizzard.

I now have a craving for a Blizzard, which isn’t good. We gave up ice cream for Lent and it hasn’t been too difficult, although it’s only been three weeks. Must… be… strong.

Little house, big house,
White house, blue house.
Grey mouse, wireless mouse,
Dead mouse, Mickey Mouse.
Red blouse, tight blouse,
Her blouse, my blouse.
Big bird, little grouse,
Gotta fire? Better douse!

The woman in front of me is reading a book on the Spanish-American War. Nice cover, solid binding, red ribbon bookmark. Wait a minute… She just turned the page and now she’s reading about the Chinese Exclusion Act. The page after that is about the Interstate Commerce Commission. I think I’m falling asleep just reading the headings on the pages!

Brown seems to be the dominant hair color on the bus this afternoon. A smattering of blondes and bald heads poke above the seats, along with a couple grey-hairs.

Mark T. is our bus driver. He’s doing a swell job.

Isn’t it interesting that a faded, dotted line on a road will make you feel confident that the person traveling the opposite direction of you will not hit you? If you were put into a large open area with one other car and you were both told to drive 60 miles per hour towards each other, how close do you think you’d come to them? The relatively minuscule 8 feet that separates the two of you on a road? I don’t think so. You’d panic if they got that close to you. But if we put a nice dotted line on the ground you’ll do it without even thinking about it. Interesting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man this is sooooo Random!!