Sunday, April 1, 2007

Rain Drops Keep Fallin' On My Head

I am so tired of the rain! It feels like it's been raining for a week now and it won't be sunny until Wednesday from what I hear. Ridiculous! Lake Gibson is still hanging around in the back yard, and if it stays this way we may put the house up and sell it as lake front property! I suppose this means we'll have mosquitoes, the MN state bird, as thick as thieves this year. Yippee. We may actually have to invest in a bat house even tho Julie can't stand them. I hear they are great for getting rid of mosquitoes. By the way, where does the phrase "thick as thieves" come from anyway?

As much as we wanted to stay in the house all day today Julie and I did manage to go work out at Life Time. We did some weights and core work, doing a combination of exercises from both Ingrid's and Bob's core workouts. As we left we were glad we made the effort to go, although I'm still not feeling that great. We needed to feel like we actually accomplished something today, so in that regard it was a success.

With today being April Fools Day I did a little research to find out how the whole idea of April Fools got started. In my book "Uncle John's Legendary Lost Bathroom Reader" I found this. Why is April 1 a "fools' day"? The most plausible explanation is this. "Until 1564 it was a tradition to begin the New Year with a week of celebration, ending with a big party. But the calendar was different then; the New Year began on March 25, and the biggest party fell on April 1. People who forgot - or didn't realize - what had happened and still showed up to celebrate on April 1 were called 'April fools.'" Interesting.

Here is an actual April Fools joke, also from my Uncle John's book. In 1992 National Public Radio's "Talk of the Nation" news show announced on April 1 that Richard Nixon had entered the race for president. They actually interviewed the "former president" (played by impressionist Rich Little) on the air. "I never did anything wrong," he announced, "and I won't ever do it again." Listeners actually called the show to comment. "Nixon is more trustworthy than Clinton," one remarked. "Nixon never screwed around with anyone's wife except his own. And according to some accounts, not even with her."

No comments: