Thursday, December 6, 2007

The Tide Is High

I remember the first three albums I ever owned that were truly my own - they were gifts from my brother Mike. I believe the year was 1983 and the albums he bought me were Business As Usual by Men At Work, The Best of Blondie, and the soundtrack to the 1978 film Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band which starred the Bee Gees, Peter Frampton and many others.

I seem to recall that I didn't know much about any of the artists at the time, with the exception of Men At Work. I had an old record player that used to be Mike's and I would sit in my room listening to the records, sitting about 5 feet in front of the stereo with each speaker aimed right at me.

I would read the liner notes or follow along with the lyrics, singing if I felt like it of course. It was like I was in my own world, or as Paul Simon so eloquently wrote in "I Am A Rock" - "Hiding in my room / Safe within my womb." I would shut the door and sit in there, getting lost in the music.

One of the first albums I bought that I was truly obsessed with was Foreigner 4, with such classic tracks as "Juke Box Hero", "Urgent" and "Waiting For a Girl Like You". There was a kid in my class who could play the sax solo in "Urgent" and I thought that was pretty sweet - and I still do. I would listen to this album constantly, flipping from one side to the other and back again.

Having my own stereo was pretty cool. And what was even better was that both speakers worked. The stereo we had in our basement only had one speaker that worked - the right speaker. And for the first 10+ years of my life I never knew what the other "half" of the song sounded like. If I had to listen to music with only one speaker I couldn't do it. No way. It would frustrate me to no end.

And I don't know if it's nostalgia or what but I'll never find the same joy in buying and listening to a CD. As much as most people would argue with me or think I'm crazy I still believe there is nothing like listening to music on vinyl - crackles and all. The warmth, vibrant tones and general sound quality is SOOO much better than a CD. You hear everything and it sounds so much more "real". It's really a shame that so many people haven't had the experience of vinyl, although I've heard it's making a comeback.

Up until I got out of college I was obsessed with buying music and I would set myself down so I could listen to the music repeatedly and in it's entirety. I still truly enjoy music but I think it's the lack of time that keeps me from pursuing it as much as I'd like. With a few exceptions I never listen to a complete album anymore which I think is quite sad and something I need to change.

What new CDs have you listened to recently that you like? Any suggestions? Recommendations?

"Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness." – Maya Angelou, Gather Together in My Name

"Music is an outburst of the soul." – Frederick Delius

No comments: