Sunday, December 2, 2007

Sweet McKenna

Jesus loves me! This I know,
For the Bible tells me so.
Little ones to Him belong;
They are weak, but He is strong.

Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
The Bible tells me so.

Jesus loves me! He who died
Heaven's gate to open wide;
He will wash away my sin,
Let His little child come in.

Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
The Bible tells me so.


We went to McKenna Johnson's funeral on Saturday and this was one of the first songs we sang at the service, and even though I've sung this song countless times it never had the same meaning as it did Saturday. The last two lines of the second verse ("He will wash away my sin / Let His little child come in") had me so choked up I couldn't sing. It was such a moving start to an emotional morning.

Before I go any further I ask that you please visit McKenna's Caring Bridge site (here) and read the journal entry from Saturday morning. The post is what was read during the funeral. There are those few times where a family truly captures your heart, and the Johnson family is definitely one of them.

There was a large turnout for the funeral which made McKenna's brother and sister (Kalen and Jadyn) very happy. They were hoping a lot of people would attend to show their love for McKenna.

Pink was McKenna's favorite color and nearly everyone who attended the funeral was wearing at least some pink. There were bouquets of pink balloons in the church which were released into the snowy sky after they brought McKenna out of the church. It was a moving scene.

Julie and I have been in awe of McKenna and her family as we've followed the ups and downs of the last couple months. It is amazing the bravery and love she showed, even at those most difficult of times. What a beautiful little girl, dear sweet McKenna. Rest in peace.

Thanks to all of you who prayed for McKenna and her family. They truly appreciate it.

No comments: