Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Out of Left Field

This post starts out innocently enough, but I really don't know where this all came from. Enjoy.

A dear friend of ours sent the picture below via fax and I wanted to share it. You may need to click on the image to read everything, but suffice it to say that yours truly is the snowman in the front. Thanks Rachel! ;-)



I am a little concerned, tho, that she draws me with no pants on. I'm not quite sure what to make of that.

My godson Derek's birthday is today. Happy Birthday, Derek! Of course, I'm lame and completely spaced on it. I'll have to make it up somehow.

WARNING: Sudden shift in post topic ahead...

So, how often do you ask yourself what it is you want to do with your life? Do you see yourself doing what you're doing now in 2017? Wow, in 10 years it will be 2017. That seems so far away and yet it wasn't that long ago that it was 1997. Anyway, I don't see myself doing what I'm doing now in 2017, but I have NO idea what I'll be doing instead.

I'll be driving back and forth to work and I'll pass all the construction going on as they build the new highway and I'll think to myself that it would be cool to be a dump truck driver. Where that comes from I'm not sure. It may have to do with how much I loved playing in the sandbox as a kid, or perhaps its the non-corporateness (is that a word?) of it - the lack of office politics. Or maybe it's about being outside, although I might miss the interaction with others. If I became a dump truck driver I might need to buy a chimp to keep me company.

Or maybe you make a hobby into a career. Depending on the hobby this would be more difficult to do, especially if you have a standard of living you need to sustain. Or maybe instead of it being your career you do it part time. One needs to find their passion and run with it. I'm not sure what mine is and I don't want to wait until I'm 60 to figure it out.

"Very few people do anything creative after the age of 35. The reason is that very few people do anything creative before the age of 35." - Joel Hildebrand

"That it will never come again is what makes life so sweet." - Emily Dickinson

This is your one shot at life. Are you really doing what you want to do? Will you find yourself one day looking back and thinking "why didn't I follow my heart?"

"Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable." - Sydney Harris

So I must sit down and think about what I really want to do, think about what is important.

Which reminds me - what do you call an insect from overseas? An import-ant. I know, that was so lame you'd find it easy to believe I just made that up.

On that note, see you later.