Monday, May 28, 2007

Julie Was Right

A heartfelt thanks to all the men and women in uniform who have served in the past and to those serving now. Thank you.

It was a great and interesting Memorial Day weekend. We hope it was good for you as well. We got some training in, did some fundraising, and spent time with friends. What else could one want?

Saturday morning, after the bikes were picked up for the Tahoe team, Julie and I went over to Lake Harriett and met up with the fall marathon teams for their first team training. We had a large turnout and afterwards a lot of us went over to Bruegger's for some bagels and banter. The mentors this season are again a riot. It was pretty much non-stop laughter the entire time. After Bruegger's Julie and I went over to Lake Nokomis and rode part of the triathlon route. We rode about 16 miles and then ran a mile, our first BRick. We were tempted to go for a swim in the lake when were were done but thought it would be best for our first open-water swim to be with the team so we passed.

Sunday I went over to Cub Foods in Plymouth and helped with a fundraiser. We had about 25 people in all (between two shifts) and we accepted tips for bagging groceries. I haven't yet heard how much we raised but it was a pretty good chunk of money. Julie went to a baby shower for our friend Julie (J-Flo as she's known) and all reports are that a great time was had by all.

This morning Julie and I met up with Misty and we did our own little "mock" triathlon. We swam 1/2 mile in the Life Time pool, rode 11 miles, and ran 2 miles. The wind felt good and the skies were overcast for nearly the entire swim. (We swam in their outdoor lap pool, which was nice.) We all felt pretty good afterwards, although I did have some shin splint issues come up. I think my problem was that I didn't stretch before we started the run - I'm hoping that's the case. Misty and Julie kicked my butt! Way to go ladies!

OK, so this morning we're getting ready to head over to Life Time and our bedroom window was open. I hear the neighbors across the street open their door and, knowing that we were going to be letting the girls out, I looked through the blinds to see if they had their dogs out. Well, they had let their dogs out onto their deck, which is above their garage. By the way, we live in a town home complex and they live directly across the street from us. I was shocked as I watched one of their dogs hunch and relieve himself on their deck! It was then that I realized all the other piles covering the area like a huge litter box! I couldn't believe it! Rather than take their dogs out into the yard they'd prefer to let them use the deck. Unbelievable. Come to find out that they are renting the place. Why is it that some renters have a total disregard for property? Makes one sick.

I found something the neighbors could do with the piles of poop they have... read this.

I love short work weeks.

So, my favorite radio station changed formats a couple weeks ago and I'm none too happy about it. Drive 105 would play a good mix of alternative music old and new, but they changed their format to "the best songs of all time" and changed the name of the station to Love 105. Yeah, cheesy. Since there isn't a whole lot else to listen to I now flip through the stations even more than I did before, and this new Love 105 was playing a song but something was wrong. I noticed that they were not broadcasting the full song - only one channel of the song. I'll try to explain. You know how a lot of the old songs would have the vocals coming out of the left speaker (if you will) and the music coming out of the right? Well, the new and wonderful Love 105 chose to only broadcast the right side! Where were the rest of the vocals? I heard another song later that was the same way! Yeah, I know, you're probably thinking "Are you serious?". I complained to Julie but she couldn't believe it annoyed me so. I hated it! And another thing, why do some stations cut out parts of songs to make them shorter? Is it really necessary to remove that 20 seconds of the song? Irritating!!!

So glad I'm not a woman.

Shortly after Julie and I moved out here to MN we were doing some shopping and she told me she saw a two-headed girl. That was nearly 5 years ago. I didn't believe her. But over the weekend I was at the liquor store where I overheard two workers talking about it. So I just did a quick search on Yahoo and found this and this. A very interesting story. Julie, I guess you were right, and it wasn't the drinking... ;-)

Hold me closer, tiny dancer. Count the headlights on the highway. Lay me down in sheets of linen. You had a busy day today.

No comments: