Sunday, March 11, 2007

They Had Me By The Ankle

Are you lovin' this weather or what?! Another day around 50 is really making us itch to get our bikes out. Went to the spin training this morning and Coach Bob forgot to set his clocks forward an hour. He walked in 5 minutes before we were finished with the spin portion of the training. He couldn't believe he had forgotten about it. We gave him the appropriate dose of crap and proceeded to the core training of the workout. We had 10 stations that we spent one minute each at: push-ups, planks, steps, lunges, running laps, superman drills, just to name a few. We also did these crunches where you sit on the floor in a crunch position, leaning back with your feet off the floor, while Coach tosses a ball to you and you have to toss it back. Wow those are killer! All in all it was a great hour and 45 minute workout.

Went to a new store (can't think of the name of it) in Chanhassen that sells mostly organic and nutritious foods. Picked up some fruit, vegies, trail mix, almonds, plus other good-for-you-and-hopefully-tasty stuff. Julie found some chocolate yogurt that she's going to try. Definitely not the cheapest place to shop, but the quality seemed very good. Just got the important stuff there and finished the rest of our shopping at Cub. Speaking of Cub, we used to have one it Toledo that was truly a pit and we swore we'd never shop in another Cub store. So many people here swear by them that we tried the one at Hwy 41 and Hwy 7 and it was actually pretty good. However, it's STILL no Super Target.

Starting today is one of the most exciting times of the year - March Madness! Ohio State got a number 1 seed and the fun begins on Thursday. College basketball is so much fun and suspenseful even for the games where I really don't know much about the teams. Each year I get in a bracket (usually run it) which only adds to the excitement. GO BUCKS!!

Tomorrow night we should find out if our niece is going to be coming out here next weekend. She's an assistant with the Bowling Green State University women's basketball team. They just won the MAC tourney and will be heading to the dance starting this weekend. One of the places they could be playing is here in Minneapolis which would be really cool. Being a University of Toledo grad I really shouldn't cheer on the Falcons but I do wish them the best. They could be seeded as high as fifth. Too cool.

Finally finished the walk-in closet - well, as much as we can. We have one section that we're still waiting of shelves for but for the most part it's complete! Looks pretty good I must say. It's just really nice to not have to keep all our clothes in boxes anymore. I have to laugh when I look in the closet now, tho. All of Julie's stuff is at eye level, while all my stuff is down near the floor. We have a 4 ft by 7 ft section of the closet that is just shoes! Of the 11 shelves, my shoes are on 3 and hers are on the other 8!

I can't believe tomorrow starts another week in March. On Thursday we'll be half-way through the month already! That's cool as we're that much closer to spring. And as spring gets closer it will be that much sooner that we'll be out riding our bikes on the open road. Can't wait!

So, we were watching the morning news on WCCO earlier this week and they were talking about how to deal with changing the clocks and how to get your body adjusted to it. Seriously? How about going to bed an hour earlier? They were talking about how to deal with kids and them losing an hour of sleep and they never once suggested that you just send their butts off to bed! "Oh, we can't make Johnny go to bed an earlier. He'll just have a fit!" I think if I tried that with my parents I'd be the recipient of an old-fashioned smack-down!

Speaking of snow (ok, I really wasn't talking about snow, just stick with me here) I figured I'd share this story before all the snow is gone and I forget to share it. When I was a kid, perhaps around 8 years of age, we lived in front of Maumee High School. Back then it seemed like you actually GOT snow, and the plows at the high school would pile up the snow right behind our fence in the back yard. So, in order to play "king of the hill" we needed to get to the other side of the fence. Now mind you our neighbors had a gate that we could have walked through but what fun would THAT be?! My best friend Andy and I would hop the chain-link fence, which stood about 5 feet high. Now, as we walked the length of our backyard we got to the fence and proceeded to jump over. The problem came as I was on top of the fence attempting to cross over to the other side when my snow pants got caught right at the bottom of the leg. Of course I didn't realize this until I was already on my way down the other side. Andy quickly surmised that one shouldn't be hanging upside down by their ankle (he was a smart one!). Fast thinking on his part sent him back into my house to get one of my older brothers, Dan, who ran to my rescue in nothing but jeans and a t-shirt. By the way, he had quite the 'fro back then (it was the 70's) and his hair would bounce as he bounded to me. I'm sure I was screaming like a little girl at the time, not knowing if I would make it to my next birthday, let alone know if I would ever again be king of the hill. Fortunately, for you my legions of idolizing fans, my big 'fro bro' saved me from awkward peril.

I've got many stories about my brother Dan which I will have to share with you at a future time. He most definitely kept things hopping around there.

Well, you all have a great week. I hope to be back to posting on a regular basis, so check back often.

No comments: