Thursday, September 18, 2008

Thursday Morning Donut Club

I’ve seen a LOT of ads (billboards, bus signage, bus stop vestibule shelter thingies, etc) that are promoting Meyer’s Cleansers. New? Old? Not familiar.

I like Thursdays. Every Thursday morning at work is Donut Club which consists of everyone that’s in my group and the group that my group is in and the group that that group is in and then the group that that group’s group is in. Get it? Don’t matter. Anyway, we all rotate and take turns bringing in donuts for everyone in the above-mentioned groups.

So every Thursday morning I look forward to sitting in a conference room, eating a donut, and NOT talking about work. That’s one of the rules of Donut Club – no discussions of work. They’ve even gone as far as to provide a list of acceptable donut shops and also ones that are big NO-NO’s. Don’t bring in donuts from a gas station or you will be shot on sight. And, don’t go getting all healthy and bring in things like fruit – also grounds for extermination. Bagels are ok, but that’s pushing the envelope. They must be carb-laden, artery-clogging, lip-smacking pastries from heaven. No exceptions. And God help you if you forget and it’s your day to bring them in. I tell you, this is serious business!!

But another reason I like Thursdays is because it’s Friday Eve, and I really like Fridays. It’s amazing how just being able to wear jeans can have such an impact on one’s disposition. Comfort may not automatically lead to happiness, but it certainly helps. I’m not a big fan of ties, and I know I’m getting no sympathy from you woman who always counter that it’s much worse for you, but I STILL don’t like ties. Target will let you avoid the tie if you wear a red shirt and khakis, the Target uniform if you will. That helps, and some people I think wear red and khaki every single day. That’s cool, but that’s a little too much for me.

Today I have on a red polo and khaki pants, and since I need to go to the store tonight I will definitely change first. I’ve heard stories of other HQ folks, who will stop at a store to do some shopping, wearing their Target shirts and khaki pants, and guests will ask them for help. That’s cool, and I normally don’t have a problem with that, but I’m off the clock. Although, some would say I’m off the clock even when I’m ON the clock. But I digress…

Anyway, bottom line is I like Thursdays and love Fridays. And it’s a pretty good restaurant, too.

Lyric of the day:
"Son, you're gonna drive me to drinkin'
If you don't stop drivin' that Hot Rod Lincoln" - "Hot Rod Lincoln", Commander Cody & the Lost Planet Airmen

2 comments:

Marc said...

If I had a nickel for every time I have walked into a Target in kahki and red, and been asked to help someone find something. (Insert eyebrow wiggle here) One time (Not @ band camp) I told the person to go to blazes I was on break and they could find it themselves. The picture would have been priceless!!!!!!

I would also assume that Ironmen in training don't eat carb laden doughnuts. Enjoy them for a bit, but then it is the grist mill for you son! You will be shot on sight for bringing your veggie platter in on Thursdays.

Bryon said...

I'll see you on Thursday. Can you get me one of those Target pass keys so I can meet for the Donut's?