Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Over 8,000 Served

I always hated the idea of going back to school. August was one of the worst months because you KNEW school was just around the corner. Julie really loved going back to school if only for the reason that she'd get all new stuff - new crayons, paper, pencils, etc. I hated it.

And yet it wasn't as tho school was bad once you were there. I got along with everyone well enough and looked forward to my brown-bag lunch every day. I used to have peanut butter and jelly, pringles, and some sort of Capri-Sun drink box thing. I would bet over 99% of the time I had PB&J for lunch. I once figured that if I had PB&J every day from age 4 to 20 that would be roughly 4,400 sandwiches. And if you assume 3.5 sandwiches per week from age 20 to 38 then we're looking at over 8,000 PB&J sandwiches. Wow.

After lunch we'd have recess and play 4-square, football, smear the queer, kickball, you name it. And it was probably around 4th or 5th grade that they got those big plastic cones with 4 different "chutes" coming out if it. You'd throw the basketball into the top of the cone and the ball would come out one of the chutes, hopefully yours. I never did understand the point of that game.

But the best part about going to school was riding the school bus. You would work your way towards the back each year with the ultimate joy of being in 8th grade and sitting at the very back of the bus. By 8th grade we were also playing cards on the bus, usually Euchre. Ahhh, the good days...

So many memories come back thinking about school and most of them are pretty good. All kids have their ups and downs but I can honestly say it was an overall enjoyable experience. Well, that is until the back-to-school ads came out.

No comments: