Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Mmmmmmm... Donuts

So, I was having an electronic conversation earlier today with Kimmi and we somehow got on the subject of donuts. It shouldn't be that surprising that I was involved in a dialogue that had to do with food, but what may be surprising is that we both agreed to write a post in our blogs dealing only with the tasty breakfast treat. So once you're done reading my post, go check hers out as well. Here goes...

I quite often find myself to be more favorable to the cake donut as opposed to the yeast-raised donut. Now Kimmi was not familiar with the difference. The cake donut is like your old-fashioned donut, usually found plain, powdered, or, as Julie prefers, chocolate frosted. The yeast-raised, or YR from here forward, is a fluffier, airy donut. The YR donut will typically be glazed or filled with some delectable filling - jelly, custard, frosting, etc. The standard Krispy Kreme donut would fall into the YR category.

Before I go any further we should review the spelling of the word. You may spell it as "doughnut" or "donut". Kind of like a tom-ay-to v. to-mah-to deal - I don't think either is necessarily right or wrong. I prefer "donut" so that's how we shall proceed.

Regarding cake donuts - again, my preference if left on a deserted island with only one form of the breakfast pastry - they can come in all sizes and flavors. In my high school and college years I worked at a small family-owned grocery store and they would make killer blueberry cake donuts. Many a Saturday morning a few of us would buy a dozen of them - still warm from the fryer. Incredible. The whole back half of the store would be filled with the aroma of freshly-made donuts. Ahhh, the memories.

Cake donuts will also typically be your seasonal donut. For instance, in the fall you will find your pumpkin donut - another excellent choice. However, the best cake donut is, hands down, the chocolate cake donut.

There is a chain of donut shops (which, unfortunately, aren't here in MN) called Dunkin Donuts. They made the best chocolate cake donuts, and on occasion when I was a kid we would stop there on a Sunday morning to get some. Or was it on Saturday morning? Can't remember. Anyway, my mother would make eggs sunny side up and leave the yolk very runny. I would then break open the yolk and dip the chocolate cake donut into that yellow goodness. If you haven't tried it I highly recommend you do so. And don't forget a big glass of orange juice.

Now on to the YR donut. Lest you be confused or misunderstand my prose let it be known that in the absence of a good cake donut I am more than happy to sink my teeth into a good YR donut. A YR donut with chocolate frosting and a custard filling is most scrumptious, although I can only usually eat one as they are a bit too sweet if you try to eat 2 or 5 of them. The jelly-filled YR is OK but not a fav.

Some songs along these lines...
"Breakfast In America" - Supertramp
"Coffee, Donuts & Death" - Paris
"Donut Man" - Rita Coolidge
"Eat It" - Weird Al Yankovic
"Eggs & Sausage (In A Cadillac...)" - Tom Waits
"Hot Cakes" - Carly Simon
"Memphis Jellyroll" - Stefan Grossman
"Muffin Man" - Zappa

Yeah, I haven't heard of most of those either.

As I said before, Kimmi is also writing a post on donuts. Click here to check it out.

No comments: